Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Yarn Along

Joining Ginny's Yarn Along today with a gift project that is both knit and crochet:

I finished the denin blue Nubbie Scrubbie, which is a quick and easy crochet project.  The knitted wash-cloth with the walking horse is not quite as nicely done as I am still not that good at knitting, even though I've done a lot of projects.  I'm getting better but the improvements are slowly obtained and hard won.  The funny thing is that I enjoy knitting more than crocheting, something about the rhythm of the needles and using both hands more is very relaxing.

I am casting on a companion wash cloth in this pattern.  My plan is to give the 3 as a gift in a little spa box that I crocheted:
I also want to try making a couple of these felted soap cozies (photo from Ravelry):
 I already have the yarn and have always wanted to try felting.  Wish me luck!

I started reading this book and am really happy I chose it:


I was impressed that it had 196 reviews on Amazon!  I am getting a lot out of this so far and am reading, again, the book of John.  Each time I read it, I see something that I didn't before.  I guess that's because the words don't change, but we do. 

This book starts out with a comparison of the images and text that we see in our Christmas cards versus the mood and experiences of the participants in the birth of Jesus.  Since Christmas is just over, it's all fresh in my mind and I felt some pain this year about how far away from a real Christmas experience we had in our home.  I was so inspired by what Ginny's family did and am resolved to create a more relevant experience for my family next year.  The changes have to first come from within me and I think this book is a good start. 

The author asks himself "If Jesus came to reveal God to us, then what do I learn about God from that first Christmas?" and then: "The word associations that come to mind as I ponder that question take me by surprise.  Humble, approachable, underdog, courageous--these hardly seem appropriate words to apply to deity."  I think his discussion that follows is really enlightening, especially when I think of the entire event of Jesus' life.

I am just starting Chapter 3 and would love for some others to join me in reading it and sharing thoughts. Please leave me a comment if you are interested, thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I also knit and crochet...there is just something I like about knitting..although I can finish a crochet project faster?

    I have seen that book many times..you have made me want to pick it up now and read it...now I just need to find the time..smile..

    ~~Renee

    ReplyDelete