I once had this memorable spicy carrot soup at the Sacramento Natural Foods Coop cafe and have always wanted to try making it at home. I did some recipe research and came up with my own version. It was quick, easy, and yum!
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 Tblsp EVOO
2 cloves Garlic (no need to chop, see "secret" tip in recipe)
6-7 Carrots, grated
1 small Yam, grated
2 tsp fresh Ginger, grated
2 1/2 cups Water
1 small can Tomato Paste (would have used fresh tomatoes, if I had any)
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried Chile pepper flakes
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1/2 can Lite Coconut Milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste (I used very little, next time will use no salt)
1. Saute the Onion in the oil for 5-7 minutes
2. Add the Garlic, Carrots, Yam, and Ginger, saute for 5 mins
3. Add the Tomato Paste, Water, and spices
4. Cover and simmer until the Carrots, Yam, and Garlic are tender (about 15 mins)
5. Pull the Garlic to the side of the pan and mash with a fork (psst....no need to mince the garlic ahead of time!)
6. Add Coconut Milk and cook for 2-3 minutes
7. Test flavor, adjust spices if needed, and serve!
Photos to follow, not a pretty soup but very yummy!