Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Laugh, love, live...

I often start my morning in poor, grumpy humor--which frustrates me and has the unfortunate effect of making me grumpier.  (And yes, I do see the humor in that, but, sadly, never quite in the moment where it might do some good.)  Does this happen to you?  Instead of being thankful for all my many, many blessings...I find myself focused on one complaint after another, usually involving some mean judgement on my husband or the world in general.  It's a habit I repeat most days (well, that is the definition of a habit, now isn't it?) but today something wonderful happened which I hope (fingers crossed...let it be true!) will be a bit of a cure.  As part of my journey in trying to address this unhappy habit, (as you can probably guess, it hasn't been helpful to a happy marriage even though we are pretty darn happy together in spite of my unfortunate failings) I have, at least, stopped VOICING my complaints most days.  Today, I asked God (OK, maybe it was more of a demand than a request), but I did ask him to help me shut up the voice of the devil that whispers all of these mean, discontented, unfair, irrational thoughts into my head.  It didn't work at first, so I wearily suggested to Got that it might need his full powers today.  Immediately, I thought "What have you DONE?  God's full powers???  Ack!!!   I take it back!  I take it back!  Then I thought, "Well I do need a bit more of his power..."  Here's the funny thing.  I suddenly heard the voice of Montgomery Scott from Star Trek saying "I'm giving her all she's got, captain." in his Scottish brogue and Captian Kirk yelling back "We need more power!"  And just like that!  My unhappy mood vanished and I was laughing out loud.  Suddenly able to feel love for my husband and gratitude for the day.  Another prayer answered using the voices from Star Trek...

No comments:

Post a Comment